In the spring of 2016, The Director of the School of Writing, Literature, and Film asked me to take on a new role of the Director of Undergraduate Studies for the school. Because this position did not exist previously, I was tasked with defining the scope of the position and generating a ranger of administrative and curricular projects. This work has included:
2016-2017: 1) Researched the English major and developed data analysis, 2) Worked with The Director of the School and the Assistant to the Director to develop a new scheduling method, 3) Re-assessed and expanded Ecampus offerings, 4) Helped to create a new professional development course for English majors, 5) Performed APAA assessment, 6) Chaired the technical writing course taskforce, 7) Coordinated with faculty and advisors in the College of Engineering to pilot 2 course/term engineering-only sections of WR 327, 8) Promoted the major, and 9) Created and managed events.
2017-2018: 1) Researched and wrote a program review for the Curriculum Council and the Office of Academic Programs, Assessment, and Accreditation (APAA), 2) Assisted in the creation of a school-wide Open House for potential new majors, 3) Served on a school curriculum re-assessment committee, 4) Held official meetings with another school about potential school realignment, 5) Developed a Google AdWords campaign for the English major, 6) Continued data collection for Engineering major-only sections of WR 327, 7) Coordinated Psychology major-only sections of WR 222, 8) Partnered with the School of History, Philosophy, an Religion on the first-ever Humanities Undergraduate Conference, 9) Continued work from 2017-2018.
Recent Review Work
- Written Communication journal: Manuscript Reviewer, 2018
- Rhetoric Society Quarterly journal (official journal of the Rhetoric Society of America): Manuscript Reviewer, 2014 – present
- Technical Communication Quarterlyjournal: Manuscript Reviewer, 2017
- IEEE Transactions on Professional Communicationjournal: Manuscript Reviewer, 2017
- Surveillance and Society journal: Manuscript Reviewer for special issue, 2015 – 2016 http://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/issue/view/Performance2
- Technical Communication journal (official journal of the Society for Technical Communication): Manuscript Reviewer, 2013
- Harlot of the Arts journal: Manuscript reviewer, 2013 – 2015
- Present Tensejournal: Manuscript Reviewer, 2011 – present
Book manuscript Review
- Routledge book series: Studies in Technical Communication, Rhetoric, and Culture: Proposal Reviewer, 2017.
Brief Book Reviews:
- Kristian Bjørkdahl and Alex Parrish, Eds. Rhetorical Animals: Boundaries of the Human in the Study of Persuasion. Rowman & Littlefield (2017).
- Paulo Mourão. The Economics of Motorsports: The Case of Formula One. Palgrave Macmillan (2017).
- Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC): Submissions Reviewer, 2014 – 2017
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writing Conference (ATTW): Submissions Reviewer, 2012 – 2016
- Conference of the Council for Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication (CPTSC): Submissions Reviewer, 2015
Textbook Research and Review
- Cengage / 4LTR Press Visuals Reviewer, 2015
- Practical Strategies for Technical Communication, 2nd ed. (textbook by Mike Markel): Infographic Reviewer, 2014
- Practical Strategies for Technical Communication, 1st ed. (textbook by Mike Markel): Reviewer, 2014
- Cengage BCOM 7th ed. Visuals Reviewer, 2014
- MyTechCommLab by Pearson: Reviewer, 2013
- Technical Communication, Brief Edition (textbook by Mike Markel): Reviewer, 2012
- Technical Communication Strategies for Today, (textbook by Richard Johnson-Sheehan): Researcher, 2009 – 2010
- The Janice Lauer M. Award for Dissertation Excellence in rhetoric and composition, Judge, 2017
- The Lisa Ede Award for Excellence in Composition Pedagogy, Committee Member, 2014 – present
- CLA Scholarship and Creativity Fair: 60-Second Lectures Judge, May 29, 2014
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Northwest Student Conference: Technical Paper Judge, 2013
Recent Committee Work
- Academic Standing Committee, University Faculty Senate Committee: 2018 – present
- School of Writing, Literature, and Film Executive Committee: 2015 – 2017; 2018 – 2020
- School of Writing, Literature, and Film Promotion and Tenure Committee: 2018 – 2019
- School of Writing, Literature, and Film Curriculum Redesign Taskforce: 2017 – present
- Cosine Advisory Group, Oregon State University, 2014 – present
- School of Writing, Literature, and Film Technology Committee: member, 2012 – 2013; convener, 2013 – present
- School of Writing, Literature, and Film Rhetoric and Writing Group: 2012 – present
- SWLF / SAC Visioning Committee: 2017 – 2018
- “Workload Taskforce,” College of Liberal Arts Committee, Committee Chair: 2017
- Computing Resources Committee, University Faculty Senate Committee: 2014 – 2017
- School of Writing, Literature, and Film, Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Program Liaison – Fall, 2015
- Oregon State University Faculty Senate, 2014 – 2015
- School of Writing, Literature, and Film Technical Writing Instructors Committee: 2012 – 2016
- School of Writing, Literature, and Film Composition Committee: member, 2013 – 2014
Recent Pedagogy Presentations
- “Teaching with Technology in Technical Writing.” With Robbie Connor. Oregon State University. May 12, 2017.
- “Instruction Manuals and Plagiarism.” Oregon State University. April 18, 2017.
- “Engineering our Way Out.” Oregon State University. Dawn of the Anthropocene, Honors College Colloquium, November 12, 2015; November 11, 2016.
- “ChromeBook Workshops.” Oregon State University. May 9 & 31, 2016.
- “2017 CCCC Proposal Workshop.” Oregon State University. May 4, 2016.
- “Low-Stakes Writing for Critical Thinking: Strategies from Across the Curriculum.” Oregon State University WIC Lunch, October 9, 2015
- Video recording for Academic Misconduct Tutorial, for Open Oregon State, Ecampus and Instructional Design. July 10, 2015
- “Mobility Beyond the Automobile: Understanding Transportation as Persuasion.” Oregon State University Center for the Humanities Lecture. April 13, 2015
Search Committee Work
- Search Committee for Assistant Director of Writing, Oregon State University, School of Writing, Literature, and Film: 2016
- Chair of Search Committee for Literacy Studies/ELL position, Oregon State University, School of Writing, Literature, and Film: 2015 – 2016
- Search Committee for Literacy Studies/ELL position, Oregon State University, School of Writing, Literature, and Film: 2014 – 2015
- Search Advocate for Information Technology Consultant position, Oregon State University, division of Outreach and Engagement: 2014 – present
- Search Advocate for Music-Performance-Technology faculty position, Oregon State University, School of Arts and Communication: 2014-2015
- Interview Committee for Director of Writing position, Oregon State University, School of Writing, Literature and Film: 2012 – 2013
Oregon State University Thesis Committees (MA)
- Chesapeake Alberti, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Chair, Writers, Objects, and Embodied Feeling: The Role of Affect in the Writing Studio. Defended: Sept. 4, 2018.
- Colleen Boardman, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Co-Chair, Rhetorical Arrangement and the Digital Archive: Finding Women’s Voices in the Linus Pauling Papers. Defended: June 8th, 2018.
- Jill Sisson, MA Environmental Arts and Humanities, Meeting the Night: The Science and Mystery of an Endangered Habitat. Defended: April 27, 2018.
- Wesley Snyder, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Public Proof: Science Communication, Weak Theory, and the Nonrational. Defended: June 29, 2016.
- Nick Brown, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Co-Chair, Extending and Visualizing Authorship in Comics Studies. Defended: April 31, 2015.
- Elizabeth Wimberly, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, More than a Term: A Consideration of Support for Generation 1.5 Students at Colleges and Universities. Defended: June 12, 2014.
- Gail Cole, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Principles and Practices in Online Writing Instruction. Defended: May 12, 2014.
- Chad Iwertz, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Classified Bodies: Disability, Identity, and the Technological Classroom.Defended: May 1, 2014.
- Ruth Sylvester, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Co-Chair – ongoing –
- Amanda Keener, MA Environmental Arts and Humanities, Chair – ongoing –
- Don Frier, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, A Style Analysis of Army Doctrine Publications. Defended: Dec. 5, 2018.
- Jason Schindler, MA Environmental Arts and Humanities, Embodying Gaia: Bruno Latour’s Gaia and the Earthboundedness of Contemplative Pedagogy. Defended: Dec. 3, 2018.
- Randall Magnuson, MFA, The Buried City. Defended May 7, 2018.
- Addison Koneval, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture,Toward a Critical Consciousness: Rhetorical Grammar as Anti-Racist Praxis in the First-Year Composition Classroom. Defended: April 30, 2018.
- Shanna Kileen, MA Literature and Culture, Bleeding Assemblages: Translating Borders in the Bilingual Poetry Of Irma Pineda Santiago. Defended May 30, 2017.
- Natalie Saleh, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Chatting, Cooking, Curating: English Language Learners as Sponsors of Literacy in a Multicultural Literacy Center. Defended May 15, 2017.
- Chris Gasser, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Composing for Social Change: Ideological Clashes and Ideographs in the Composition Classroom. Defended: June 6, 2016.
- Jacob Day,MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, An Exploration of Scholarship on Peer Review in Composition Studies: Looking to the Future with Replicable, Aggregated, and Data-Supported Research Methodologies. Defended: July 6, 2015.
- Tana Garcia, MAIS, Connecting with Students through Multicultural and Culturally Relevant Texts. Defended: June 9, 2015.
- Jessica Martin, MAIS, Facebook in the Work Environment: A Look at how Facebook has an Impact on the Developing Relationships in the Workplace. Defended: May 24, 2015.
- André Habet, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Reclaiming Voice: Enacting Social Discourse Communities in Belizean First-Year College Composition. Defended: May 1, 2015.
- Joy Henry, MFA, Bells. Defended: April 27, 2015.
- Aaron Schwartz, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Omen of Mere Event: Vignettes in a Post-Wilderness Landscape. Defended: April 14, 2015.
- Sarah Mosser, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Modalities of Responding to Student Writing: How the Medium Shapes the Message. Defended: June 10, 2014.
- Allen Sprague, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, Relationship-Based Service Learning in a Business Writing Context. Defended: June 7, 2013.
- Ian Ferris, MA Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture – ongoing –
- Adrian Monty, MA Environmental Arts and Humanities – ongoing–
- Brigid Ronan, MFA – ongoing –
Honors Thesis Committees (Undergraduate)
- William Hemstrom, The Relationship between Science and Narrative in Anime, Defended: August 22, 2013. Committee Member.
- Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture Thesis Writers meeting: convener, 2013 – present http://wlfthesisgroup.wordpress.com
- Affiliated faculty for MA degree program in Environmental Arts and Humanities, Oregon State University, 2013 – present
- Purdue Professional Writing Undergraduate Club, 2011 – 2012. http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pwclub